When you do, it helps your doctor find the right treatment for you. Discuss things like your work, school, living situation, family life, social life, and anything else that concerns you about HIV.
Your doctor is there to help. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your doctor, it's ok to look for another one. If you need help, you can use this tool to find health services.
Below are some suggestions for things to talk about. But you can talk about anything.
- What do my test results mean?
- How do my other health conditions affect my HIV?
- Will taking HIV medicine cause problems with any of the other medicines I am taking?
- What can I do to stay healthy now and in the future?
- Is there anything in my routine I should change?
Understanding My HIV Treatment
- What treatment will I be taking?
- How many medicines are in the HIV treatment I take?
- How does each medicine fight HIV?
- How often will I have to take medicine?
- What if I miss a dose? How do I make sure I don't miss a dose?
- What are the side effects of the medicine you are prescribing?
- What should I do if I experience any side effects?
- How long will side effects last?
- Should I take my medicine with food?
- Can I drink alcohol or take drugs while taking HIV medicine? What happens if I do?
- Can I smoke? What happens if I do?
- How do diet and exercise affect my health? What about depression? Can I still take HIV medicine?
- Can I still have sex?
- How can I protect my partner(s) from getting HIV?
Healthy Pregnancy and Childbirth With HIV
- What options are available for people living with HIV who want to have children?
- What should I do if I am pregnant or plan to become pregnant?
- How can I help make sure I have an HIV-negative baby?
- How long have you been treating people with HIV?
- What is your approach to treating HIV?
- Do you have a “partnership” with your patients? Why or why not?
- How often can I call you with questions or concerns? What's the best time? If you're not available, who should I call?
- Do you have anything I can read for more information? Which websites should I check?